Sunday, December 28, 2008

Serenity II: Watching The White Wheat

Today I sit here and sip my coffee, noticing in passing that about 200 mg of caffeine later, I still feel rather calm and settled. They say that caffeination dulls your response to adrenaline, and in consequence helps you to live a longer and stress-free life. It's only people who over-produce adrenaline and already have hypertension who shouldn't touch caffeine — they just get diseased by it.

I look out on the prospects of the year ahead, and I feel contented and altogether too happy, as one of my friends recently remarked (or 'emarked', a new coining I have made to describe online remarks). I have the peace of the man who watched the white wheat grow. That tale is found in the Welsh song Bugeilio Gwenith Gwyn, which means 'Watching the White Wheat'; it is all about watching something that you sowed grow, while someone else reaps the harvest. If you can accept that (and it is a most Christian ideal to do so), then serenity can be yours.

There are so many kinds of serenity, and so little time we make for ourselves to enjoy them.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home