Saturday, March 29, 2008

Word Of The Day: Selah

The Hebrew word 'selah' is found more than 70 times in the Psalms. Its meaning is hidden, but in my studies, I have come to think of it as a word equivalent to the idea 'from here to eternity'. It is a kind of rainbow bridge, symbolic of permanence and yet of dynamism. It establishes a present moment, and yet indicates what certainly has been and is certainly to come.

In recent days I have heard exposition of Psalms 23, 90, 91, 94 and 127. The integrity and humanity of the Psalms, regardless of content, are obvious and yet unusual characteristics. Despite being divinely oriented and inspired, they are humanly crafted, with an occasional eye for vengeance and personal displeasure. There is something gleeful, for example, in the 23rd Psalm when it says, "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies." But that particular statement deserves (and receives) no 'selah'.

And yet, all that is not the point. The point is that while the Psalmist (whichever one wrote a particular psalm) occasionally takes digs at his personal foes, his reliance in God for all things in their good time is the bottom line. The Psalmist might wish all manner of nasty things to happen — and does indeed sometimes call upon the Lord to inflict them on his foes — but still believes that whatever God decides, it will be just and complete. It will bridge the past and the future while establishing the meaning of the present.

I have never publicly been accused of being a bad teacher before. Yes, I am conscious that I have not always been the best or most appropriate teacher to my students. For that, there is certainly some penalty to be paid, and I accept that. I have come out of classrooms sometimes with the horrible feeling that my lesson was not a very good one. But I don't think that I am totally a bad teacher. Yet, all that is just as much not the point. It is God who will judge how good or bad I was (am?) as a teacher, and I will leave it to Him. Selah.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger The Hierophant said...

Yes. That word has always intrigued me. It was always frustrating to read Pslams and realise that no one knew what selah meant. And yes, you are still a teacher. How can you change your spots?

Sunday, March 30, 2008 12:02:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home