Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Whose World? What Cup? (Day 18a)

Tonight is supposed to be the night on which Brazil qualify for the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup. However, Chile will be doing their best to carve out a slice of their own history by stopping them. In theory, this will be a much more entertaining clash than the crystallized boredom I sat through just a few hours ago. I hope.

And if I am still awake after this, I will tell you my dream about backpacking, black helicopters, and an odd sense of dislocation.

=====

At half-time, I've watched Brazil be that much better than Chile. Watching Gilberto Silva's long-range but unsuccessful strike in the 9th minute, I realise that Arsenal retirees might be better than Chelsea and Liverpool captains. Juan and Luis Fabiano have, of course, scored for Brazil, making it 2-0.

But random thoughts percolate through my mind; did Fabio Capello think that Glen Johnson would be the equivalent of Maicon? Did he think Ashley Cole would be able to take Maicon on? And that is just (literally) one side that I'm looking at.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home