Friday, October 12, 2007

Whois 006

Today we sat in a half-dark room, large and airy and cool. We thought of who we would remember, of the people that we would keep in mind for the next thirty years before the sunset. And it was a whole barrel-of-monkeys kind of fun. I was looking at the subjects of my last few challenges, and I was thinking to myself, "The people I remember and the people I put on this ballot and the people in my Whois challenges are all not quite the same people... how odd!"

Well, as someone with great perspicacity remarked, the last few lines do indeed give away the identity of the subject. What was I thinking of? Well, the problem is that I'm an acoustic thinker, and I really do hear this song when I see that person. She is a lot like a near-adult version of that particular animal too - a noble creature indeed!

=====

What is the nature of humanity? What lies beyond the historical underpinnings of the world we live in? What questions must we grasp the import of, and wrestle to the earth? Sigh. This particular creature is adept at asking and tentatively answering such questions. With a superficially benign appearance (the mistaken impression of most, because of a lack of obvious malignancy) our friend is known to produce insights designed to shock and amaze, all in the most deadpan of voices and the tiniest twitches of a decorated lip. Virtually transparent, which is to say really opaque, this compact and seductively stealthy individual cruises arbitrarily through the ecosystem of the intellectual arena like an orca amongst dolphins. Sometimes one thinks of the old 1910 hit song, Danny Boy.

Who is this?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that you intentionally refused to suggest a gender.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 2:22:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

becca: that sounds intensely suggestive...

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:13:00 am  
Blogger JeNn said...

Karan Malik!

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:14:00 am  
Blogger toitle said...

I'd say Colin, but orcas ARE black after all...

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:23:00 am  
Blogger xinhui said...

Colin colin colin! Screams colin.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 5:08:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

toitle: the top is dark, the rest is pale...

xin: yes, yes, enough already! *grin*

Sunday, October 14, 2007 3:37:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home