Sunday, October 01, 2006

Children's Day

Today is Children's Day here.

I used to feel an acute sense of loss when thinking about my childhood. In part, this was the result of many people telling me how good childhood was compared to adulthood, and me not realising that it was because they had such miserable and adult adult lives. I had a wonderful childhood myself.

Yet I've also had a wonderful adulthood so far, and I'm not utterly convinced that you can draw a line and say, "When I was a child, I thought like a child; now that I am a man, I think like a man." (The Bible says, "...now that I am an adult man, I fling away the things of childhood.") It is a powerful image, that the child is father to the man; or that there is a huge, clear and qualitatively convincing line of division between them.

But there isn't. And today, I celebrate Children's Day by indulging in hot dogs and ice-cream cones, waffles with blueberries and butter, and whatever I can cook up tonight that will be messy but nice.

4 Comments:

Blogger BenSohBS said...

Hehe sounds nice warm and fuzzy =) Incidentally my friend's birthday is on children's day, meybe i'll remind him about this some time in the future...

Sunday, October 01, 2006 11:35:00 pm  
Blogger Augustin said...

1Cor 13:11? haha it is an active process of casting away the childish thoughts and yet putting on the child-like heart.

Monday, October 02, 2006 12:45:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sleepyboi

niether will gals ;P

Monday, October 02, 2006 3:23:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh! It's true! Girls do mature faster than guys.

But Sir, you should read Bishop Solomon's message on that.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:35:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home