Monday, September 18, 2006

How To Be Good

There are many ways to read a statement like that, as I realised after filling in the 'Title' box for this post. 'Good' can mean virtuous, complaisant, excellent, short of excellent but still not bad, above average, an economic object - and so on. The sentence if it is made into a question can take on overtones (or undertones) of complaint, of abject moral need, irony in the face of depravity - yet another bunch of possibilities.

All I really wanted to do was post a couple of links for my fellow researchers and others interested in qualitative research in the social sciences:

This is a link to an analysis of why large social groups of a certain kind can make collective decisions which are to their detriment and the detriment of their social environment.

This is a link to a powerful tool of the future. I think it can be used to explain many things in a complex social milieu, and probably map relationships that nobody knows exist, even those embedded in them.

I think that the first link is very helpful in many of the senses given at the top of this post. The second link is quirkier. I'm not sure what it's really good for, but I am sure it is good for something. Intuition tells me so, and that's good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home