Thursday, August 31, 2006

Nightwatch

A question I've been asked before is, "Why did you choose to be a teacher?"

There are many standard, politically correct, or even true (but politically correct) answers to this question. Some will say that it's a calling (yes, it is); some will say it's for the children (yes, of course); some will say it's a useful job or an honourable profession (yes, yes). I think all these are true to some extent for most teachers — and if not true, they ought to be.

One of the most haunting passages of the Bible is the conversation (of sorts) which takes place in the twenty-first chapter of the book of the prophet Isaiah. Verses 11 and 12 say: "He calls to me out of Seir, 'Watchman, what of the night? Watchman, what of the night?' The watchman said, 'The morning comes, but also the night; if you would ask, ask: return again to me.'"

True, teaching is a spiritual gift, according to the Bible; true, there is much about teaching in that greatest of books. But of all the verses in it, this is the verse which speaks most to me of my calling. For the teacher is part of what makes an apostle, part of what makes a leader, part of what makes a guardian — but most of all, some teachers are called to be watchmen.

The watchman stands alone, alert in his distant tower, in the middle of mountains and wastes. He can be taken by the ambush of sleep, or by bandits even if he can see them coming. The watchman is the first to see the dawn, and the first to note the onrushing fall of night. And he watches unrewarded over the people of his land. Some day, they will recover his hacked and scattered bones; some day, a new watchman will rise up in his place.

I must spend my gift while I have time to do so. There is nothing that should make me keep it only to myself. For all the lives I have touched which have burned brighter for it, I am glad — and for the lives I have tarnished unknowingly, I feel sadness and regret. I will remain true to my calling because I must, and while I still can. Thrones and dominations are not for me; better to be a watchman, staring across the desert at the horizon and the tidings it might bear.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have touched lives, Sir. May you never lose the calling that you have to be the watchman of so many lives. I pray that you'll always rely on God, the Ultimate Teacher, for strength and guidance.

Even though I was never taught by you per se, and haven't even talked to you face to face [I think that I've held a longer conversation with your father funnily enough], I'm very appreciative of your insights and comments on my blog. You certainly make me think and give me a new perspective.

I admire you for your faith in God, and how you always seem to want to look at things objectively. :)

God bless!

Friday, September 01, 2006 1:47:00 am  
Blogger P0litik said...

Happy teacher's day sir. Sorry I didn't get to wish you before you went for the lunch.

Ezekiel 33:3,4
If when the watchman seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people; then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head.

Yes, the job of a watchmen is to simply be vigilant and to send out the warning when the sword comes. It is not his duty to force people out of their homes.

You, sir, have done your duty as a watchman not only through teaching but also through your faith in God which I believe many students have witnessed.

May you continue to grow in faith in Christ and be a blessing to students and many other students who are yet to come.

Friday, September 01, 2006 4:34:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quis custodiet ipsos custodies?

similarly, who teaches the teachers? (not meant to be disrespectful in any possible, conceivable way, just a curious thought.)

mr chew, thank you so much for being such a wonderful teacher. you've made everything you teach come alive, and your engimaticality just makes you all the more interesting: a joy to speak to, and learn from.

so who will sing the hero songs for the watchmen, those that fall in the line of duty, those who persevere because they have sworn and realize the need to do what they do, those whose roles are perhaps the most important of all?

they will sing the hero songs themselves; others will hear their story, and follow suit. and that is how their legacy will be infallible, even if they themselves are not: they shall have eternal life on earth because of inspiration.

and they shall have eternal life in heaven, too, because God rewards all those who persevere in silence to further his Word and his teachings.

Friday, September 01, 2006 4:52:00 am  
Blogger Solar Sojourner said...

To THE AC teacher, thank you! May your beacon of light shine far and wide and enlighten many others

Friday, September 01, 2006 10:51:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home