Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Moonsweep

This is a relic of a bygone era. I don't think many people will remember the Galactic Saga series of computer games from Broderbund Software — Galactic Empire, Galactic Trader, Galactic Revolution and Tawala's Last Redoubt. In those days, the coding was very simple because most of us had 48K of system memory, including video and everything. Yes, 48 kilobytes was the sum total of the universe for the Apple II Europlus.

The story was a simple one.

Admiral Julian du Buque conquered the universe for the Mad Emperor Tawala, only to be stripped of his honours and relegated to the life of a simple trader. Being a wise man who surrounded himself with clever allies, he rose to pre-eminence in the merchant class and led the revolution which finally toppled Tawala. The Mad Emperor fled the homeworld of Galactica, and his traces were covered up by a galactic storm. Tawala was finally caught and executed by the rebel leader Benthi on the distant world Farside.

I have romantic memories of that game. For a start, I played it for hours. I was du Buque, despite the green phosphor which betrayed the lack of reality. But suspension of disbelief was always a strong personal suit, and I persevered. Revolution was my favourite game of the quartet. I seldom lost.

One world of the entire simulated galaxy, however, always caught my eye. Moonsweep. Was it 'moon + sweep', or was it 'moons + weep'? Either way, I could imagine a history of that world which evoked loss and pain, beauty and nostalgia. To this day, I remember Moonsweep. I wrote poetry about it, and its song continues to echo in my aging ears. Make of this what you will.


Further Reading:
Demotivation
Tears Gone By

1 Comments:

Blogger le radical galoisien said...

Ah Broderbund ... who can forget Carmen Sandiego?

I wonder if any of my Singaporean peers have played Oregon Trail ... losing your family to a flooded river, dying of disease and starvation, and

"If you shoot any more deer here, game will become scarce."

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 5:55:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home