Monday, August 07, 2006

Cookery

I will cook tonight. It will be a pasta in mushroom and olive sauce. The pasta is innocent. It will only barely deserve the quick soak in salty butter and boiling water that it will receive. I shall grind black peppercorns into olive oil, heating it slightly to extract the flavour. I will slice little red chillies to give a sweet and fiery body to the sauce. I will soak black olives till they lose their salt and I can chop them up. I have thin-sliced mushrooms in spiced oil. I will stir them in last. The whole dish will be washed down with a simple little Cabernet Sauvignon which I picked up for fun. And it will all take fifteen minutes to prepare and about the same time to eat. Thus will I gain back what the world takes out. Thus will the balance be maintained.

3 Comments:

Blogger le radical galoisien said...

Is this boiling the uncooked pasta and the respective sauces and seasonings in the same pot? I always thought the pasta and its other components were cooked separately.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:05:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start with hot water into which some basil and black peppercorns and salt have been stirred (according to taste). You cook the pasta separately, about maybe 6-8 minutes starting from the time the water boils. Test for springiness by attempting to cut the pasta as it cooks using a pair of chopsticks. If it cuts too easily, that's overcooked...

Drain the pasta. Mix in a bit of salty butter or olive oil so it doesn't dry out and get sticky.

While you were boiling the water/cooking the pasta, you would also have been doing the sauce. That's now done and hot, so you can ladle it out over the pasta.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 5:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful meal to share with your wife =)

Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:06:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home