Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sleeping Positions II: Fearful Asymmetry

I used to sleep flat on my back. I find it hard to tilt and twist my spine; it's funny that my torso should be so averse to torsion. But these days, people say I snore when flat on my back. Heh, it has never troubled me before.

I've seen others curled up in foetal position, like little prawns wrapped in cloth skins. I wonder how this can be comfortable, while uneasily realising that I must have spent quite some time in that position too.

I see advertisements showing mattresses and pillows that let you sleep naturally on your side. That always profoundly upsets me in some atavistic way. Can it be natural for one to sleep on one's side? My pets do that once in a while. But they look more alive sleeping on their bellies. It must be as natural either way.

For chordates who are also vertebrates, it seems odd that one should lie sideways, instead of symmetrically. It seems much more natural to put even stress on your organs, even if the human inside is less symmetrical than the human outside. I fear that when I sleep on my left side, my liver will smack into my heart and make it work harder; when I sleep on my right, I guess it helps gastric drainage, but I always feel that things are hanging over my gall bladder and as-yet-unremoved appendix.

Oh well. I'm sure Hamlet never thought of this when wondering about the sleep of death.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought they often say that one's sleeping position is a manifestation of his/her own subconciousness? hahaa perhaps those prefer fetal position are in nature very self protective people....or lack security

Monday, December 22, 2008 3:18:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home