Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sleeping Positions I: Suspension

Last night as I dozed off, my last thought (I think) was that I was falling asleep in an oddly familiar and iconic position. I sensed that I was lying with one leg crooked under the knee of the other, rather as if I were in the shape of the number '4'. I didn't think about it again until this evening.

Well, I remembered why that position seemed so familiar. It's an old one, and you can find an image of it here. It's the Hanged Man from the old decks, an image I've commented on before.

Don't take me for some sort of occultist. I just look at symbols and try to unravel their meaning. My sleeping position last night was very natural to me, but it doesn't mean I think of myself as Odin hanging from Yggdrasil or something like that! You might however recall that this grim wanderer was also the master of two ravens.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home