Friday, November 21, 2008

Novembral Knight

"Hail and well-met," Wolff said, greeting the formidable old lady. "It seems you have the advantage of me."

"Ha, Sir Wolff, I take no advantage. I am so senior a lady that I need not. But yes, what you foretold has come to pass, and I am most entertained as I watch! Thank you for unleashing such spectacle!"

"It was not my doing. The Grand Inquisitor did it all himself, and I merely followed his script in whatever way a poor player could. And do not call me 'Sir' for I am no longer knight."

"Ah, it is all a farrago. If you are no knight, then there is no day. They are all ends up now, truly a game of soldiers. He claims you seek to destroy him and the Order."

Wolff wrinkles his brow in incredulity. "That, my lady, is the most unlikely of charges!"

"True, true. It is as unlikely as a two-headed gryphon upon a field of gold with little weasel tails on it. I know you and your family are strong supporters and defenders of the Order."

"What has that got to do with that?"

"La, la, la... good Sir, for knight you still are even in November, you are far too discreet. But I must admit, that is not a gryphon that we see; gryphons have no tail feathers, and that one does. It must be a double-headed eagle."

"Lady, the Good Book says that the double-minded man is unstable in all his ways."

"Well, that is why it needs wings, surely. For if it is unstable on the ground, it can hide this in flight!"

"My lady, you see too many things! I would never be so bold to think of that."

"But not too bold, Sir, to continue thinking about it, surely? Give my regards to your sire and the Family. They are a precious resource in resource-poor times."

"Good night, Lady."

"Good knight, November."

=====

Note: The fictional adventures of Sir Wolff do provide much that is of interest. You can find them linked here. Just ignore the one about earwax. That was an accident.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home