Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Library Litany

The litany verse-form relies on repetition for impact and tends to have a religious focus. Recently, I had the occasion to write one as part of the regular shenanigans on this site. I reproduce that piece here below, noting that it has something to do with my previous post.

=====

The Library Litany

I gather in the shelves, through dewey eyes;
I am childhood fears made into pictures;
I am the maps of paths that bring surprise;
I am wood and stone and metal fixtures;

I am the courses of the months and years;
I am feasts that you have not learnt to make;
I am a poet's loss and evening tears;
I am a chronicle of grave mistake;

I am a war made cold and dry and stale;
I am technology of flame and steel;
I am a peace in blood to make you pale;
I am supposed to try and make you feel;

I am the heart of criminal intent;
I am a science-fiction trope gone wild;
I am the voice of beaten jailed dissent;
I am a manual for a new-born child;

I am about the monsters of the id;
I am a stakeholder report made plain;
I am a pleasure maybe better hid;
I am machinery but used in vain;

I am conspiracy built out of fact;
I am a yearbook of a vanished school;
I am a tale of presidential act;
I am a teacher's words used as a tool;

I am sections periodically bound;
I am a guide to other guides not found;
I am a country travelogue, now see!
I am a shopping catalogue, choose me!

(librarian's response)

I know you all want dearly to be read
But nightfall comes; I'm putting you to bed.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home