Thursday, May 22, 2008

Educational Pointers

Today I was most amused by something I saw on the Hierophant's space. I was especially amused because it echoed my thoughts about some recent incidents in my life.

It is no secret that I have certain views about what education and educators should be like. It is probably also no secret that some people don't like those views or feel slighted by those opinions. Fair enough. However, to read into my views a sort of personal animosity or negative attitude is probably not fair at all.

I've decided not to mention anything about what's been happening over the last few days. I am studiously neutral on such things and I do not respond well to goading or harassment. So I continue to be happy in what I do, and to seek the guidance of the Highest and those he has placed around and over me as allies and friends.

But to get back to my amusement, here's a quotation that sums it up well. I found it on Wikipedia, while trying to figure out what was odd about the Hierophant's post. That post alludes to Hanlon's Razor, which I always thought of as Heinlein's Razor. We're both right, so it's OK. What got me was this interesting quote further down in the article, from a German general in 1933:

"I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!" [1]

Well, sometimes real life is not like that.

=====

[1] Hammerstein-Equord, Truppenführung (1933).

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home