Thursday, March 20, 2008

Day 003

Today is the third day. By the end of today, my last twelve years will have been crated up and distributed out. It is a sobering thing, to realise that all you have done and all that you own can be packaged in about 40 cubic metres of space, most of it filled with paper and emptiness.

It is like watching a play: five acts, maybe twenty scenes. Then it is over as the lights come up across the theatre. Yet, there will have been highs and lows, comedy and tragedy, fantasy and farce, serious issues and intangible ones. Love, war, power, destiny, hate, rivalry, ambition, kindness and generosity, the will to survive, the desire for peace — all these things can be revealed to us in a play.

For those of you who study business and management, who think about balance sheets and inputs and outputs, I have some advice. In life, as in business, assets should be put to work early and made to produce a return on investment. If assets held produce too little return on investment, and the overheads and downside are too great, then it is time to diversify or to divest. But all that is head knowledge. Sometimes, it has to be applied.

By tonight, I shall have filled in the boxes. By tomorrow, I will rejoin the community of believers as a penitent, for tomorrow is Good Friday. It will be time to remember the transition that is death — and also to begin to hope for all the life to come.

=====

Update at 5 pm: All my books are packed now. There are so many empty shelves. I have a box that contains nothing but the things my students have written about me. I spent a few hours looking through these for bad things. To those of you who felt my sarcasm, anger, or intolerance — I apologise to you for not being a better man. It is Holy Thursday now. Happy birthday to my Dutch god-daughter. Oddly enough, it's just a few days after my first god-daughter's birthday, she who is now in San Francisco.

=====

Update at 10 pm: I just threw out about 8 kg of materials pertaining to the past. It's amazing how much documentation exists, testifying to what I spent my youth on, signed by venerable authorities; it just amazes me. The past is truly another country, one whose borders I shall no longer transgress. Sometimes, I shall gaze forlorn across the barbed wire. It is like the experience of 20th century emigré Russians. It is still in my blood. You can take the boy out of Russia, but not Russia out of the boy.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what u planning to do now sir?

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:11:00 pm  
Blogger * the mad monk of melk * said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:45:00 pm  
Blogger * the mad monk of melk * said...

朋友(无印良品)

谁能够划船不用桨
谁能够扬帆没有风向
谁能够离开好朋友
没有感伤

我可以划船不用浆
我可以扬帆没有风向
但是朋友啊
当你离我远去
我却不能不感伤

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:52:00 pm  
Blogger The Hierophant said...

I still remember when I helped you in book packing. Somehow, I wish I was there to help you this time as well.

Friday, March 21, 2008 12:19:00 am  
Blogger Colin Cheng said...

i'll remember you walking into my 5.6 tok class and conducting the lesson from the rear corner of the room. and we all had to twist our heads around to listen to you.

thank you sir.
goodbye sir.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:02:00 am  
Blogger orientalist said...

hey sir!

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed ... and if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted..." just doing QT and came across this verse in Jere 18.

now's a time of new beginning. He's always there and there's always certainty in uncertainty. Because He is all-knowing and He wants the best for you. You'll see. We'll all see. :o)

Take care and I'll catch you soon.
God bless!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:38:00 am  
Blogger JeNn said...

Life tends to be like that, eh. So much experience, so many memories, yet so little tangible evidence. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Hope to be able to meet up with you when I return from the US. Take care.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:27:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home