Thursday, December 06, 2007

Apocalypse Lost

For some time now, I've been wanting to assemble a collection of media that would be a retrospective of the Cold War. It does indeed date me, to be thinking of it; there are many alive today who were born after the Berlin Wall came down. But every now and then I see a fragment of my imaginary media collection, and I think of war, and peace, and how it was to grow up in a world dominated by the threat of – no, not war, but ultimate destruction.

Here are some of the fragments which have passed through my hands recently. I am not going to link them, for in the days of the Cold War, things were retrieved in the old, difficult, paranoid ways.

1. 99 Red Balloons (Nena): This song was a sort of a one-hit German wonder, originally composed by Uwe Fahrenkrog-Petersen (music) and Carlo Kagres (words), and translated into English by Kevin McAlea. It's a vision of innocence, pulp fiction, and sudden death. Red balloons, indeed.

2. Forever Young (Alphaville): Another German group, and the year was 1984. This is an elegy to the end of the Cold War, written as if from the viewpoint of a peculiar madness which cannot quite grasp that the whole conflict is over.

3. Fallout and Fallout II: These computer games epitomised the post-apocalyptic CRPG. Built on an engine which would one day be utterly familiar to players of Diablo and suchlike, Fallout took you from a deeply buried underground colony in search of spare parts for your water supply and ended with you making the world safe(r) from insane cyborgs. The sequel was even better!

4. We Didn't Start The Fire (Billy Joel): This song, a collection of seemingly haphazard historical items, concealed a whole cornucopia of meaning, the least of which is the idea of, "Well, then. Who did?" The driven rhythm matches the lyrics in winding up the listener. It's a great adrenalin-boosting track.

5. Dinner at Deviant's Palace (Tim Powers): It looks and feels like post-apocalypse novel written as fantasy. It's a gritty and painful bildungsroman, if you like. But mostly, it's a great story in a barren land.

6. A Canticle For Liebowitz (Walter Miller): Another novel, this one dealing with the nature of religion after the apocalypse is some time gone. Rather moving, has a sequel which doesn't quite make it.

And that's it for now.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Melodie said...

How terrible, you've left out Winds of Change!

Friday, December 07, 2007 1:57:00 am  
Blogger xinhui said...

hardly, it's in we didn't start the fire...

allow me to help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Didn't_Start_the_Fire

Hm. Interesting. Did you know that I was born in March, 1989?

Sir, I saw a really nice calendar in Borders, of Russian Icons for next year 2008. It's rather expensive though. $40 around there.

Friday, December 07, 2007 7:37:00 am  
Blogger Anthony said...

As a fellow relic of the Cold War, I consider the lack of Winds of Change completely unacceptable. :)

Friday, December 07, 2007 9:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gather that nobody noticed that this was a list of things I had actually come across again recently, rather than a list of things that anyone compiling such a compendium should include.

It's not my fault that certain things didn't come my way in the last few days.

Friday, December 07, 2007 10:31:00 pm  
Blogger The Hierophant said...

I love 99 Luftballons. But you came across the English version, yes? 5. is something I've been desiring for a long, long time.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 6:24:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t5jaRipA5_M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5V7XaFn_0rI&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qBYoarsGLXc&feature=related

because I cannot find any tears to cry for you,
hear are some metaphysical subliminal sorrows

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:14:00 pm  
Blogger xinhui said...

wha. got so many dancers around ah? I'm almost jealous.

Anyway, I was blogging around, and you know what you told me of the Prophet and the Lady?

Check out this link:
http://unorthodox-.blogspot.com/

Merry Christmas!

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:16:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home