Monday, December 03, 2007

Mockery And Judgement

I remember that in late 2004, I was being pilloried for the contents of this blog. Those contents are still there for you to see, if you're wondering why this should be so. At that time, I remember distinctly the phases of emotional sensation that passed through me.

First, I was amused. I could not believe that people were reading it the way they claimed they were. I could not believe that rational people could do that, anyway. It did not help when the Inquisition got its facts wrong. But then, they were the inquisition, and I was being put to the question. Lesson: the Inquisition cannot bear to be wrong.

Secondly, I was furious. I could not believe they were charging me on the basis of their misinterpretations. I could not believe that they were actually taking a line of peculiar interpretation, applying it in defiance of all hermeneutic principles of analysis, and using it to club me over the head and gag me. Lesson: the Inquisition will always claim the higher ground.

Thirdly, I was defensive. Perhaps, this was my undoing. I believed I was perfectly right in what I had said, that there was no wrong in it. And in a technical sense, I was indeed right. However, I learnt something. If the Inquisition could be misled, it must indeed be true that what I had written was misleading. Lesson: the Inquisition are people too.

Fourthly, I was repentant. If I had misled anyone, no matter what they were or who they were, I was guilty. Whether the rational man-in-the-street, so beloved of law and criminal justice, interpreted me correctly or not, the fact remained that at least three people were confused and two angry about it. Lesson: the Inquisition sets the tone, regardless.

And so, I stepped down from any authority of position I held. I could not totally divest myself of personal authority or the authority of skill and knowledge, but I voluntarily and in a spirit of reconciliation stepped down. I apologised to the community, and I meant every word of my apology. And there the matter rested for a while. But in my heart and mind, I remembered one last lesson: the Judgement of Gamaliel.

In Acts 5:17-42, the apostles were arrested for preaching about Christ. I claim no such apostolic status, and neither was I blogging about exalted matters. But the principle of Gamaliel's judgement remains the same for all unclear and ambiguous cases of new social phenomena: "And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God."

I make no such claims, I say again, about apostolic legacy. However, I would put these questions, given the opportunity, to the Inquisition: Did you apply the principle of Gamaliel's judgement to my case? Has my blogging enlightened or darkened the world of men? Why did you think what I said was harmful despite the fact that at least one of you admitted it was truth?

The fact is this: God is not mocked, or deceived about the truth – what a man sows, he also will reap. The whole lesson of this episode, for the Inquisition as well as for myself, can be found in Galatians 6:1-10. I fully expect to be rewarded or condemned accordingly. In the meantime, I also know that this applies to all of us, every man and woman alike. God have mercy on us all.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger xinhui said...

Grin.

Actually, I think the truest and greatest justice of all is that of love.

You see, IMHO, when the books of life are opened and we are judged according to our deeds, we will be judged by the measure of our love. I think the final judgement will be that everyone will be forced to complete enlightenment by God.

IMHO, when we are forced to love the world as we should, and we are shown the future, and we see all the possible futures that could have happened as a result of each moral decision/use of free will that we have taken, the actions which had not love will result in less beautiful futures (thus impacting our time on earth - hence it is God's earthly justice). The "heavenly" justice will be when you see what the possible paths and futures could have been if you had made the right choice.

No one comes to the Father except through the Son and forgiveness of sins, and if your heart is filled with love, you will find satisfaction in heaven, because your conscience will be clean. However, if you are forced to love the world / forced redemption, you will be eternally tormented by guilt as you will see how your actions of not-love in the world have led to the suffering of those you are now forced to love.

And the suffering will torment you...for...all...eternity. And you will feel all the worse, because everyone around you is so very kind, loving and understanding and forgiving of your mistakes, but you...you know your guilt and cannot be clean of it because you did not accept Christ in your heart truly.

So the good people get their heaven, because everyone they love will be there.

But the bad people, although in heaven, will be in eternal anguish and sorrow, because of the wrongs that they have done, and because they did not accept Christ on earth, they did not attain forgiveness for their sins.

Monday, December 03, 2007 2:25:00 pm  
Blogger xinhui said...

grin. my dad reckons I should read C.S. Lewis because he thinks like me.

And God already gave us mercy in Jesus Christ (and so we will always have mercy). We are waiting now for justice.

Monday, December 03, 2007 2:27:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No... I think Lewis is a bit stronger on the Biblical theology. Revelation 21:4-5 says, " And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful."

Monday, December 03, 2007 3:15:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home