Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Endings

How shall I remember you,
And you of the green eyes,
And you of the sharp mind?
How shall my remembrance speak
Of you with the long feet,
And you with the soft speech?

I have written the words here;
But they are like water
And they are like summer.
I have crafted a poem;
But it fades in the air
And dies in the winter.

How can I keep faith, my friend
Who walked with a brave heart,
Who led soldiers in war?
How can I hold memories
Of my younger brothers
In my agèd fingers?

I have walked along the road;
But the city is lost
And I scent the autumn.
I have followed the cold trail;
But the ending is doubt
And I will not see spring.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not look Irish if you don't mind...

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:12:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*grin* that statement has so many issues that I shall just ignore it for now... I suspect that the line should be '...with not-green eyes...'

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:36:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home