Monday, August 27, 2007

Writing References

It's that time of year when senior students go looking for teachers to write university application references for them. So far, like many academic staff who work closely with students, I've been asked by a fairly large number of candidates to write something of that kind. It's quite obvious to me that I can't write as many as people would want me to, so how do I decide?

That was the question running through my head this evening. Actually, it's more like, "How have I always decided?" I'm going to attempt to explain how I do it, which might encourage some people to ask and discourage others. That's all right; I prefer that things be made plain. I hope that you, the reader who also happens to be a prospective applicant, will find this helpful.

Firstly, the informational aspect. I have to know you. It isn't necessary that I know you intimately or with great and embarrassing detail. But I need to have had personal contact with you; I need to know you well enough to say something which is true and positive; I need to be able to look back and say, "See! This is my evidence for what I am going to say about you." I need not have taught you formally or academically; if I know you as a person, it is likely I know just enough to describe you in other ways.

Secondly, the professional aspect. I have to be allowed to write about you, and if it is my duty, so much the better. This means I have indeed taught you, as a class teacher, pastoral care tutor, supervisor, mentor, subject teacher, moderator, counsellor, whatever. You can't be a close relative or someone whose situation is such that my writing a reference for you would be immoral, unethical or unprofessional. I wouldn't write a reference if your father was my boss, for example.

Thirdly, the emotional aspect. We have to have a fairly congenial relationship. Personally, I feel better about writing things for people I respect. If we happen to have a positive relationship, that helps a lot. It's a human thing. It's hard to write the good stuff (even if true) for someone you loathe. I would never be able to tell if I was holding something back subconsciously, or using biased language without realising it.

Lastly, the functional aspect. If I write a targeted reference (like the kind some US schools require) recommending you to a specific institution, I have to be convinced that this institution is good for you (or at least, not an inferior choice). I might (sometimes) also have to be convinced that you are good for the institution! If you are unlikely to get in no matter what I say, then it's a waste and I won't do it.

The other question of course is, "What do I write?" Some of you would like to know this as well.

I normally begin by reading the documentation. Many institutions have similar requirements but have specific differences in details. Most require some sort of character sketch. I'm not so bad at those.

I then make a short list of highlights in the following areas: academic, lifestyle (sports, community service, etc), skills, traits. If the institution wants to know why you would do well there, I'll add that. This becomes as many paragraphs as required.

I conclude with a short summary of two or three key features which dominate or combine what I've already said.

Sometimes, I do it differently. I'm reasonably flexible as a writer.

Labels: , , ,