Sunday, June 03, 2007

Elista Revisited

Some time ago I posted about how I was looking forward to the World Chess Championship Candidates' Matches. Well, the first phase is over, although at this moment, I am waiting for the three tie-break matches (Carlsen-Aronian, Gelfand-Kasimdzhanov, Adams-Shirov) to be fought out.

I think I'm satisfied with all the outcomes so far; Leko is always a solid contender (although brittle in spots), I don't particularly like Ponomariov (reminds me too much of the Soviet machine with Karpov as its biting edge), Kamsky's comeback has been interesting and educational to watch, and I have no feelings for either Grischuk or Malakhov. I'm a little sad that Judit Polgar doesn't seem to be back in fighting shape, although her basic skills are still relatively unimpaired and she fights hard.

I'm hoping for Aronian (Carlsen can afford to wait it out), Kasimdzhanov (wily fox), and Shirov (I like Adams, but he tends to be profligate with chances) to go through to the second phase.

And before I forget, here are their current nationalities, for those who can be bothered with it: Aronian (Armenia), Carlsen (Norway), Leko (Hungary), Gurevich (Turkey), Rublevsky (Russia), Ponomariov (Ukraine), Gelfand (Israel), Kasimdzhanov (Uzbekistan), Kamsky (USA), Bacrot (France), Grischuk (Russia), Malakhov (Russia), Polgar (Hungary), Bareev (Russia), Adams (England), Shirov (Spain).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home