Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Greek For 'World' Is Κόσμος

I am setting my home page to this for a while, after resisting it for a long time. It reminds me of the most beautiful readable language that exists. This language is Greek to me.

Lexically, the Greek language is one of the most important to an English-speaker. It's probably true that most of the academic disciplines we see in the school curriculum have Greek names - biology, physics, geography, history, music, economics, technology, mathematics, philosophy. I have some limited competency in Greek - my friend the classicist is the man you want when asking for more.

But limited or not, I intend to make use of my competence in weird and wonderful ways. Εν αρχη ην ο Λογος, indeed.

=====

Edit: Then again, after finding this, I might change my home page again. There aren't many things more satirical and yet comforting than this.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home