Thursday, February 15, 2007

History Stole My Date

It's the day after Valentine's Day. And I, as often happens at this time of year, am drawn to remember two very specific Valentine's Days.

=====

1977. I am a curious and energetic little ten-year-old kid. I am running around outside school, a little steamed from playing football in dangerous places. Then... I bump into my grandfather, who is coming out of Bible House on Armenian Street. He has an odd expression on his face, and a big bright smile.

"Hi, Grandpop!"

"Hi, young man. Your mum's doing well in hospital. Guess whether it's a boy or a girl?"

At ten, one tends to guess 'boy' just to spite the other sex. I was wrong. And that is the story of how Valentine's Day first became important to me - it was my sister's birthday.

=====

1986. I am a curiously energetic infantry recruit. I am stuck in camp. I am hoping like mad to get out of camp to spend some time with the girl who is at that time the love of my life. I don't know it yet, but it is going to be a very long time before I have another happy Valentine's day again. A very very very long time, indeed.

I spend the next two years writing poetry for money. Most of it is for fellow servicemen trying to impress their girlfriends. I have become mercenary about love and other human affections and affectations. I'm good. I can charge $2 a line. It gives me a kind of... perverse joy. At about $10 per verse, or more.

=====

And in between, there are agonizing and embarrassing ones, and those that are sweet and quiet, and those that are tiring and exuberant. At this point in my life, all of them are fond memories, and I thank all those who made such memories possible and indelible. God bless you all, wherever you are.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*grin* You charged to write romantic poems??!! HAHA. Where was the unicorn in all of this?

Friday, February 16, 2007 6:50:00 pm  
Blogger Ken Tay said...

poetry for money? thats.... odd.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 3:53:00 am  
Blogger potpourri said...

U're my newest favourite read. ;)

Happy cny!

Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:44:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca: the unicorn was vastly amused...

Ken: yes, odd and yet strangely profitable ;-)

lakeside girl: thank you; have a good break yourself!

Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:55:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hah u can reali do that in the army? cool. i should do that next time too hahaa

Saturday, February 17, 2007 4:08:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home