Friday, October 12, 2012

Going Gentle

It is right that things should fade
That oxygen should draw its electronic debt
In every cell and line of age

It is left to me to say
That I have always loved my different cats
Despite outliving all of them

Memo to the interior designer:
Let the parquet stain grow pale
Grow old along with me
My falling hair will then be less visible

Memo to the exterior designer:
I've come to appreciate
This maturing pain
The sense of loss balanced by forgetfulness

If the guitar were less hollow
The sound would be less sweet
If the sound were less hollow
I would listen harder to my beat

And so my trousers they are rolled
By rhyme to remind me I am old

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that. Lovely poem.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:23:00 am  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

I've outlived all my cats except the current one. Who is roughly ten years old now and whose mortality I am in dire awareness of. Timor mortis conturbat me, but it is not my own which makes me uneasy. :(

Friday, November 23, 2012 4:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home