Monday, October 17, 2011

Sabbatical

Every seventh year, a year of rest and regeneration. Speaking to academicians I know, this is no longer true. They don't give professors sabbaticals anymore. Time was, elite universities were the only ones that could afford the moral and intellectual high ground of such provision; time is, all universities have begun to think that it isn't worth it. World-class has become no-class; contract has slipped into indenture, and thence to slavery.

I am blessed because I was given an unexpected sabbatical, fourteen years into my career. And I've used it well, I think. I will always be thankful to those who gave it to me, for the gift that they gave me.

=====

Note: This is the 2500th surviving post of the Findings blog. Happy postday to us!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home