Thursday, September 15, 2011

Socratic

The interesting thing about old references from old referees is that many of them mention my Socratic approach to questioning. I've noticed it myself.

Today, for example, I was helping three young ladies revise for their alchemical papers. I saw myself, as if afar off, slipping into the question-response mode. And of course, you follow the line of questioning indicated by the responses you get.

So it was that aromatic compounds blossomed into segments on food and health and the right approaches to such things. The respondent answers, and the questioner is led by that.

I can't help but remember how Socrates perished, though.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger toh said...

Actually I think Socrates died a great death - he was given a chance to escape but didn't take it, believing he had chosen the best time and place for his death; by submitting to the authority of the state he was standing by his belief in the sanctity of the social contract between citizen and state.

And while I still remember your socratic approach to questioning infuriating and irritating us to no end, I suppose it is in some sense similar to Socrates irritating his own students to... a better end.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:44:00 am  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

And so, we remember. :)

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:53:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home