Monday, August 15, 2011

The Cigarette-Smoking Man

There were two men waiting in my office. As I walked in, they stood. My secretary mouthed, "I have no idea."

These guys were odd. Together, they would have made one 6'6" bald guy with large hands and a warm heart. Individually, a different story. Tall, balding and skinny hands said, "Benson." Not-so-tall, bald, and large hands said, "Hedges." Both sounded half-hearted.

"What can I do for you gentlemen?" I asked. My left nostril was blocked, and I hadn't had my morning coffee yet.

"We'd like to know..."
"... what we should know..."
"... as the new head... "
"... of the Fortress."

Yeah, they had that irritating complete-the-other-guy's-sentences thing.

And then I woke up. Something about Benson, Hedges, cigarettes, and consonantal and vowel shifts drifted out of the dream and left before I could catch it.

But it got me thinking. What to tell the non-cigarette non-smoking man?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bean said...

It's funny, I actually had officers named Benson and Hedges in the first few months of NS...

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:37:00 pm  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

See, it is all a conspiracy. Which in its original sense, meant 'a breathing-together'.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:42:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home