Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Preparing for Re-Entry

I suppose that when I look back on the events of the last few months, I shall think most of those who fought with me and "saved the sum of things for pay." In a sense, Atlantis has become one of those states that the founding fathers would not have wanted; they followed old Nick, and his advice was that a Prince should never depend on mercenaries. But here we are, as they say.

Yet, I'm not a foreign mercenary, but a local man fighting for the integrity of a local institution. For pay. It does cause some unease that I am being paid extra to do what I once would have done for free. A man's got to make a living, but sometimes, one wishes that one had the faith to let God make the living while the man gets on with the mission.

So... preparing for re-entry. Odd ways. Clearing the decks, confessing the failings, digging out the old corpses, bringing out the dead. I have realised that somewhere deep in my heart, I thought I had retired to the afterlife of ease that I never wanted. But today, I am back in the field.

And as always, I bow to the four corners of the Earth, and the regents thereof. I give thanks to God, their master and mine. I express gratitude to my wingmen. And I perform the dutiful obeisance, heartfelt and true, to my ancestors who have taught me so much. Lastly, my love and fond appreciation go out to the Lady who sits in my tree.

Thus, prepared for re-entry, I rest on Him, and in His name I go.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home