Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Compulsition

I used to dread 'composition' periods in English because they tended to render me unfit for the rest of the day. When made to write, I am a compulsive writer. I do not always have a compulsion to write, but once the impulse is formed, it compels.

The handing up of a 'compo' book to the teacher always used to make me feel as if I were giving a child away for adoption. I guess it is worse than that, in a way — you're giving away your child to have someone else stare critically and tiredly at it, and then make red marks in pen all over.

And now, I keep writing new stuff into my largest ever. My supervisor stands at the door and knocks (metaphorically). The ferryman grins mirthlessly. And soon I will have to give this one up for adoption into the literature of the time. Argh.

=====

Note: I hereby define 'compulsition' as a compulsion to continue composing that derives from, or is initiated by, the act of starting to compose.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ming said...

This reminds me of what Capote apparently once said: Finishing a book is just like you took a child out in the back yard and shot it. :D

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home