Monday, March 14, 2011

The Methodology of Frustration

This is not quite as catchy as The Tactics of Mistake. Yet, it is one of those things that is equally true in terms of what defines my approach to life.

I've come to realise that when I deal with an audience, a class, or a discussant, I tend to use an indirect-fire approach. It is like slinging rocks up and over using a trebuchet. The sheer mass and volume of the load ensures that fundamental restructuring occurs on the other side, but you might not be able to see the effects till later.

That however, tends to lead easily to frustration in this modern age of education. One of my peers once commented that I had managed to teach an entire Chemistry lesson using nothing but Socratic reasoning. However, he cautioned, such an approach takes up too much time, and it might be necessary to do it more directly. Some students might get frustrated.

Personally I think that some people ought to be, and would benefit by being, frustrated. These are the ones whose unchecked growth would probably lead to disaster. Sometimes, however, a period of slower growth is important for consolidation. Things like forcing students to derive from basic principles can actually allow them to work out the commonalities underlying a broader range of truths.

Notwithstanding all that, I do of course have other weapons besides this 'methodology of frustration'. I have been known to deploy a ballista instead of a trebuchet. I sometimes have to lay siege to the citadel of the guarded mind, and in such situations, siege projectors of all kinds can be of great value.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could this be the foundation of a siege workshop? ;)

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:20:00 pm  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

Cuthbert: don't get me started, don't tempt me... :)

Monday, March 14, 2011 7:07:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home