Friday, February 04, 2011

Ferry Tale

I'd never heard of Gerry and the Pacemakers before. Apart from growing up in awe at the antics, exploits and heroics of Liverpool FC's goalkeepers, I was never a fan of any Merseyside team. So it was with a slightly jaundiced eye that I noticed I had become a fan of the song Ferry, Cross the Mersey.

It's a typical 60s song that in this age, half a century later, evokes a typical 'Golden Age' nostalgia for a time that one hardly ever knew. Yes, I was born in that era, but the song antedates me. It was #8 in the UK in 1964 and #6 in the US (of all places) in the succeeding year. However, a 1989 version hit #1 for three weeks. Most recently, I heard my DJ cousin playing it late at night on the radio.

What exactly does it evoke? And how?

In me, it evokes a heartfelt yearning for a less complicated time. It begins with "Life goes on day after day / Hearts torn in every way..." and continues later with "People they rush everywhere / Each with their own secret cares..." In between, the singer asks the Mersey Ferry to cross the river and bring him over it to the place he calls home.

It's a place where people everywhere seem to smile, don't care what his name is, and will never turn him away. It's a place he loves.

I think almost everyone needs a place like that. Some of us will indeed have to cross a river to find it. Some of us will have to remember to carry the ferryman's fee. But all of us have some sort of yearning for some sort of home.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home