Friday, July 23, 2010

Missing Days

Somebody asked me how many people read this blog. I thought for a while, and told him it must be only about 100 hits a day, and maybe only 20 regular 'customers'. He said, "So why do you bother to post something everyday?"

It was a good question. I had to think for a while.

Honestly, I think that this blog is a bit of an umbilical. It is a lifeline that connects me to my own thoughts, my own past; it is in a sense a tribute to people I have known who might no longer be in touch with me and whom I've not seen in years.

Blogging, at the beginning of its web-log identity, its genesis, was all about journalling the present. But like all things dealing in presents, it eventually becomes an archive of the past. This leads some people to close down old blogs, to delete them, to put them into eternal digital sleep.

I write stuff because I like writing stuff. And there's a lot of stuff that won't fit into my dissertation, that won't fit on birthday cards or in other things that I write. This blog is about stuff. It may not be very good stuff, but it's my stuff.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger yossa said...

I agree. Personally, my blog is for me to articulate and organise my own thoughts. It is independent of existence of readership (save for myself).

Friday, July 23, 2010 9:54:00 pm  
Blogger sloth said...

and also because people like me read! :)

Friday, July 30, 2010 3:05:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home