Sunday, March 14, 2010

Two Years, Very Briefly

It's been a strange sort of wandering, these two years past. On 18 Mar 2010, I shall have completed two years of life outside the barbed wire. In those two years, I have done many things that I never had the time for, and towards which my inclinations had gazed at forlornly for too long.

I miss having to cook. I miss the company of the naughty fellows who lived right on top of the old place. I miss the collegiate interaction with a few colleagues, many of who have now likewise departed.

I have compensation. I get much better food. I still get to see the naughty fellows and help them in their schemes. I still have the interaction with many of those colleagues, except that I no longer have to tolerate the intolerable ones.

I have written many things. If a blue ocean can describe a strategy, then my strategy is an ocean of text.

I have found myself sitting on the Hill of Dogs, with the Master of the Wyverns and his officers. And in the back of my mind, I thought of Chesterton's Lepanto, and I smiled (but not as Sultans smile).

Because Don John of Austria is indeed going to the war.

Labels: