Monday, November 30, 2009

Word of the Day: Travail

The etymology of this relatively common word is unusual and slightly macabre. It's originally from the French travailler, which in turn comes from the Latin tripalium. That last Latin word literally means 'three stakes' and refers to some ancient and now long-forgotten instrument of torture.

A travail is then, in the original sense, a period of prolonged suffering, inflicted by some external agency. If that external agency is geographical (weather, terrain, distance), then the 'travail' becomes 'travel'.

These days, however, travel is something many of us have learnt to enjoy. I am always somewhat bemused when people complain about air travel. It's one of the most comfortable sources of silent meditation in my life, in comparison with other means of mass transportation.

To enjoy that, the flight should be at least six hours long, a period sufficient for proper fluid intake, buffering, relaxation, reading, exercise and the odd amount of movie-watching. In particular, I like trans-Pacific or trans-Eurasian flights, which give you anywhere from 12 to 20 hours of peace and quiet — assuming you don't have fellow travellers who produce some sort of negative stimulus.

Today, my travels will include the final stage on my odyssey from non-driver to family chauffeur as I drive my father around for the day. Dad's always driven me around at various stages in my life. Now, I get to return the favour. I hope it will be mere travel, and not travail.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home