Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Brief History Of Weaponry

I've just realised that two whole batches of students have not had the experience of enduring my standard TOK lecture on the sciences. The slides are available in my public folder, but here is an excerpt from the text, on the matter of the human tendency to indulge in arms races.

Example: Historical Trajectory (Narrative)

“I have a fist.”
   “I have a rock.”
“I have a sharp rock."
   “I have a rock on a stick.”
“I have a flying rock.”
   “I have a rock launcher.”
“I have a rock-on-a-stick launcher.”
   “I have a rocket launcher.”

To be exact, this came from Slide 30 of Lecture II. Lecture II was also titled Scientia — Humanities through a Narrow Window: Conscience and Non-Science, and was used to compare, contrast and correlate the sciences to all other disciplines, one group at a time.

Since I had 47 slides in that lecture, there's a lot more to come. Of course, I regret that I will not be delivering the full lecture again anytime soon, so there'll be no extemporaneous jokes and bad puns to accompany the slides even if you do download the original presentation slides.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger AvengingAngels said...

I remember those lectures, they were hilarious. I remember some bad jokes about Scientology...

What they need now though is an anti-thesis. The lecture immediately after the Science lectures was somewhat disappointing. Rar.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:36:00 pm  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

Hey man, I'm glad someone remembers them. I think that the lively debate from and amongst you people after the lectures was the best thing. It even spawned a forum and a website, for a while.

Your juniors are 'somewhat disappointing' in that respect. *grin*

Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:27:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home