Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Workgroups

There's a certain pleasure to be engaged in constructive work with fellow professionals. It's perhaps one of the oft-remembered joys of school life, whether as a teacher or a student.

'Constructive', of course, does not necessarily imply a lack of fun. I think that the associative constellation of meaning (the 'tag cloud' if you like) that surrounds words can sometimes be full of nonsense. 'Constructive', to me, implies something that at the literal end of the day will give you a sense of accomplishment, a sense of having cobbled together something that makes sense.

Recently, I suppose I would characterize my workgroups more or less as 'the little TOK classes', 'the Preservation of Things That Need Preservation', 'the Gaming Group' and 'Dad, Bro and Me'. Every time I come out of one of those sessions, there is that sense of having constructed something that has significance and meaning.

The one that is most poignant to me on reflection is that last. It's really an unusual feeling to realise that Dad (soon to be 70) and Bro (soon to be 40) are the fellow professionals in your workgroup. You toss ideas around. You realise that you get sharp advice from both, but Dad is a lot better at making it sting less. And you learn from it, and refine it... and everyone makes money!

Haha, I was kidding about the last part.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home