Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cashing In

Today marks the 25th day of my new financial policy. Since St David's Day, I've decided to spend only as much money as finds its way into my wallet by direct physical transfer. If I need to use a Mammon Machine (also known as an Altar Teller), I restrict myself to using it only on the day after I have banked in a cheque that will more than cover the amount I'm withdrawing.

So far, I'm still at a nett positive income. And I have not touched the principal sum that I set aside since 2007. At current expense rates, this is likely to last me for the rest of my life. Hopefully, insurance will cover the healthcare that I'll need as I grow older.

But it's the little things that I realise are beginning to build up. When I go into a shop and pay for goods worth $27.64, for example, they charge me $27.60 in cash. If I had paid by electronic means, that would have been four cents more. Exact sums can be transacted by electronic means; but ever since they got rid of pennies, they have had to round down in favour of the customer.

Slowly, I am finding myself richer than I was before, even in these distressing times. I am beginning to set aside a sum for the education of future generations not my own. This was the habit of my ancestors, and I have resolved to make it mine as well. Education is important; in every school ever built to house wyverns, my family has planted at least one classroom and one teacher. It is too bad that the traditions of the School are fading and the flagship is at half-mast.

But the best is yet to be; and the prudent amongst us should endeavour that this best can be paid for in the end.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home