Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Stealth Mode

I have to confess something that you're all going to find out sooner or later, if you haven't already done so. You probably already know what this is all about, so it shouldn't be too great a shock.

I'm a closet literature teacher. It's been like that ever since high school, when I faced the decision of whether to teach chemistry or literature and conned myself (or was conned) into thinking I could do the former before the latter. The last 15 years have therefore been a little aggravating to me, as I tried very hard to come out of the closet, only to be rejected and told to stick to my subject.

But those who have heard my lectures and the stuff I cough up in class know that I have what I think of as a sensible view of the sciences which doesn't inflate their role into that of a metacognitive über-descriptive all-devouring philosophy of life. Rather, I think of the whole kit and caboodle as merely a powerful set of tools, agencies, and connected knowledge bases. It is a lump of stuff that is easy to apply directly and directedly.

The other side of it is the stuff that isn't so obvious, the stealth side, the dark matter or human thought. And that is where I live, the closet of literature, the humanities, the arts and the imaginings of the human minds that don't fall easily into cognitive sequence or interconnected frameworks. They don't do it easily, but with complexity, and in doing so, make humanity richer and more beautiful to higher-level sentients like we're supposed to be.

So now I teach A-Level literature. Haha.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger le radical galoisien said...

"Poetic lattice structure in chemistry literature?"

Thursday, September 18, 2008 5:22:00 am  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

Not quite... more like 'Macbeth as an exercise in particle physics, with Feynman diagrams'.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:19:00 pm  
Blogger le radical galoisien said...

Which particle is Macbeth? And which particle is Duncan? And would the moving "forest" of trees be a flood of electrons?

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:20:00 pm  
Blogger christian_bboy said...

It will be interesting to see you teach literature. Our school needs better lit teachers. Haha.

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:11:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home