Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Publish, And Conceal Not

For some reason, I got up in the middle of the night and was drawn to an odd leaf sticking out of the Book. And under the leaf was the fiftieth chapter of the words of Jeremiah the prophet. So I saw the words that were written in the first verses therein, and I went back to sleep, and deep was my rest and of a good conscience.

The word that the LORD spake against Babylon and against the land of the Chaldeans by Jeremiah the prophet. Declare ye among the nations, and publish, and set up a standard; publish, and conceal not: say, Babylon is taken, Bel is confounded, Merodach is broken in pieces; her idols are confounded, her images are broken in pieces.

What an odd experience. But Jeremiah has always been my favourite book, from ever since I can remember anything about the Bible. Yet I was brought up with a careful historian's thinking, and that meant I found myself wading through other books as well, of other religions and creeds, including the grey West Point manuals of old, and Kipling, and Eliot. Heh.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home