Friday, December 14, 2007

Elemental

Dear Mainspring,

It has been 20 years since our last date. Remembering the people we used to be, not yet fully formed and still a little adolescent, is a pretty awkward but amazingly funny experience. Of course it would never have worked out; we used to say that sometimes a little wistfully, perhaps with a tinge of fear that it might have. But now, being older and somewhat more knowledgeable (even if not necessarily wiser), we are pretty certain of that.

I forgive you the sushi chef and the leopard-skin print and the other odd outrages of life. I forgive you the moments of peculiar behaviour (ah, you SC/S7 girls!) and decidedly eccentric rambling. I can only hope that after 20 years, you do the same sort of thing on your side.

It's at this point that I realise I don't know where you are, or what you're doing, or even if you are still alive (morbid thought). But that being so, remember only that we were once fond of each other and now that is no more than a souvenir on the old shelves of the past. And you know, of course, that we are free. Except for silly moments like this, which clutch at us but cannot take hold.

*grin*

Yours,
Wanderer

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cherie:
for me, today marks my dog's death.
and, tomorrow marks 4 years since my first date with he-with-whom-it-did-not-work-out-in-the-end.
these days.

Friday, December 14, 2007 9:31:00 pm  
Blogger JeNn said...

You guys remember first and last dates?!

Man, to think I thought I was obsessive. No offense to those who do remember first and last dates, of course. I remember my own weird things. Like. Er. Hm.

Anyway, I didn't even get to visit St Catharine's... But King's and Trinity were beautiful. I heart them!!!!

It's dangerous to want something so much though. Makes the potential disappointment so much stronger. =(

Friday, December 14, 2007 9:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home