Thursday, August 02, 2007

Decked

I grew up in the 1980s, as many of you will have figured out by now. It was adolescence, senescence and obsolescence all in one. The 1990s liberated me, removing the previously-unfelt oppression of the Cold War and both Thatcher and Reagan - people who while both commanding and interesting were somewhat inhuman in diametrically opposed ways.

And it was in that earlier period of the 1980s that I enjoyed Simon and Garfunkel, Billy Joel, and all. But sometimes, I enjoyed odd tracks with odd artistes who made less impact but whose songs just crept into my head and nested there. Here's one. It reminds me a lot of those days, the days in which I dated and dreamt that I loved. Looking around, I realise that some things don't change across the generations.

=====

QUEEN OF HEARTS
by Juice Newton

Midnight,
and I'm a-waiting on the twelve-oh-five
Hoping it'll take me just a little farther down the line...

Moonlight,
you're just a heartache in disguise;
Won't you keep my heart from breaking if it's only for a very short time...

CHORUS:

Playing with the queen of hearts,
knowing it ain't really smart
The joker ain't the only fool
who'll do anything for you.
Laying out another lie,
thinking 'bout a life of crime
That's what I'll have to do
to keep me away from you..


Honey,
you know it makes you mad
Why is everybody telling everybody what you have done

Baby,
I know it makes you sad
But when they're handing out the heartaches you know you got to have you some

(CHORUS)

Lovers,
I know you've had a few
But hide your heart beneath the covers and tell 'em they're the only one

And others,
they know just what I'm going through
And it's a-hard to be a lover when you say you're only in it for fun

(CHORUS)

Playing with the queen of hearts

[repeat and fade]

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite me embracing music as far back as the 1920s, I faile to have this song on my radar screen of music. No matter, I've searched for its background and will hear an excerpt of it soon...

Simon and Garfunkel and Bill Joel still remain with some of my genertion too. They hold the genre that is so absent from today's artistes and some song-writers. I should think music from others like Don McLean were of the same calibre too. Here's something I wrote:
http://jeneral.diaryland.com/050122_7.html

Hope all is well in the world of IB

Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:47:00 am  
Blogger Dilys said...

strangely, or not, reminds me of this..

"don't you draw the quee of diamonds, boy
she'll beat you if she's able
you know the queen of hearts is always your best bet

Hmmm..

Monday, August 06, 2007 4:35:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home