Saturday, July 28, 2007

Moon Knight

I was very young when I first encountered Marc Spector. Some of you will not remember the (originally) black-and-white graphic periodical called Epic. It was produced by Marvel Comics, had achingly beautiful artwork... and I wish I hadn't sold my copies off in the great comics inflation of the 1980s.

I have just read the latest incarnation of Moon Knight, the heroic alter-ego of the mysterious Spector. The odd thing is that just before that, I read the latest installment of Martian Manhunter. And the message I got from both books is that the one fundamental constant of basic human nature (whether mediated by alienness or alien gods) is the desire and drive for revenge.

But vengeance is mine, saith the Lord, I shall repay.

Perhaps that is why Batman is never about revenge, and neither is Superman. Or Wonder Woman. Or Green Lantern. It's only the odd and alien who are. Because while it is human to desire revenge, it isn't very productive. Perhaps it is best to leave it to the gods, God, and their proxies.

I have never felt comfortable with revenge. It's something I used to earnestly desire, as a small kid often beaten up. Then I learnt violence and ways of hitting people painfully, with many body parts and impromptu tools. This was fun at first. Then I realised that true power consists of being able to do it, but never showing it, never actually doing it. For it is not for us to take revenge, but to reach the understanding that it will one day be payback time, and everyone gets some – including ourselves.

Such odd thoughts on a Saturday night. Hmph.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sad that cap america died.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:04:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home