Saturday, April 14, 2007

Humbled

I think of two sets of lyrics, I suppose, when I see or hear the word 'humbled'.

The way I've been wired over the years (or the way my genes betray me, take your pick), one set is religious in origin, one is familial (pehaps tribal) in nature. And both are very English, I think.

The first one is A E Housman's 1887. It's a moving poem on Queen Victoria's jubilee year. But more than that, it is a celebration of the virtues that Housman looked for and described in the men of his time and his country. Here's the fourth verse.

To skies that knit their heartstrings right,
To fields that bred them brave,
The saviours come not home to-night:
Themselves they could not save.

I don't think I'm as good as any of the ancestors I've known. I think I'm less competent, more wicked, inclined more often to steer away from onerous responsibilities. Which brings me to the 1870 hymn, At The Name Of Jesus. This is the fourth verse.

Humbled for a season, to receive a name
From the lips of sinners unto whom He came,
Faithfully He bore it, spotless to the last,
Brought it back victorious when from death He passed.

The Victorians are often mocked for their social traits. But they were surprisingly full-blooded, and their era was full of literary triumphs and tempered optimism. They could meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat them both just the same, as Kipling wrote in 1895. When Queen Victoria died in 1901, an age preeminent in significance to the 20th and 21st centuries died with her. And that humbles me too.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger isolde said...

If AE Housman's one of your favourite poets, you might want to pick up Tom Stoppard's _The Invention of Love_. Have you read it? It's about Housman looking back at his life and love in his old age. In it, a character describes _A Shropshire Lad_ in this way: "I never read such a book for telling you you're better off dead... No one gets off; if you're not shot, hanged or stabbed, you kill yourself. Life's a curse, love's a blight, God's a blaggard, cherry blossom is quite nice."

Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:05:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. Sounds good. I haven't looked at Stoppard since Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Heh.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:23:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home