Sunday, April 08, 2007

Ars Magna, Vita Brevis

Yes yes, this is an utterly pagan Easter night post.

As everyone knows, I am a loyal and extremely patriotic adherent of a venerable institution founded in 1886. It has won many awards and medals over the years, and its fan base is wide - covering several continents and many other cities besides its own. My blood flows freely in its colours.

The problem is that this institution can be so much greater than it is. It has everything: young and enthusiastic talent who contain world-class award-winners within their ranks, a developmental system touted as holistic and complete, management once considered enlightened and academically supreme. But it is not indubitably championship material any more. It tends to win enough to make pundits say that it might be the best, and then falter in certain key areas.

They have a brand-new expansion, costing millions in donations and investments. They will be paying off the creditors for years to come. The new site is huger than the old one by far. It should bring with it dominion and power, majesty, honour... argh, all right, I have gone too far and verge on blasphemy now. For the new site has recently been the venue of horrible defeat at the hands of the enemy.

It is an unhappy situation for me. It makes me suffer. I remain loyal and patriotic. I will not let go of this old lady who has provided me with so many thrilling experiences over the years. Yet I am sad, I am hurting. We have become the laughing-stock of millions, our captain appears to be out of the action for months at a time (and even when active, seems a little out of sync with everyone else despite his native talent).

But what can I do? I have suffered long enough as a fan of Arsenal FC. This venerable North London football club has seen highs and lows, and to be truthful, is not doing as badly as it might. It is currently fourth in the English Premier League. Manchester United and Chelsea, however, have an insurmountable lead. And Bolton and Everton are not far behind. Let's not talk about Liverpool though. And we lost to West Ham 0-1 at Emirates Stadium yesterday. Woe, woe, woe.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. you got me there thinking that you were referring to something else. LOL. Utterly intentional, I'm sure.

Monday, April 09, 2007 9:01:00 am  
Blogger kani said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, April 09, 2007 4:52:00 pm  
Blogger kani said...

I concur heartily, as a loyal old fanboy myslf (:

Monday, April 09, 2007 4:54:00 pm  
Blogger dlanorpi said...

I agree. Mediocre paper chase machinery, where's the strive for excellence?

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:58:00 pm  
Blogger P0litik said...

hah! piangz. you got me there for a moment.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:56:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home