Monday, January 22, 2007

Reflection

I was 18 and it was a cold rainy night. It was the night of the senior prom, and for the sins of our predecessors, it was being held in the school auditorium instead of at the hotel which they had vandalised.

I spent a lot of time with her and her friends, in the gallery where we sat. My grandfather had introduced us. It was a time of hope; it was a time in which dark things were forever put behind. But I remember one specific thing - I liked her company, and our families were well-acquainted, but there was none of that feeling of... gravity.

Sometimes your heart weighs so much, feels so large with hope, fear, portent or despair. Sometimes it is full of blood, and at other times it is unbearably light with air. And sometimes, it is happy but it feels nothing beyond that. And that was how I passed the night.

It was the other one who greeted the new year with me a month later, when my head had been shorn in the service of my country.

=====

Years passed. I wrote many letters, something that feels somehow so archaic in this age of ubiquitous electrons. I kept their replies. I remembered them, even though my heart had gone on. She owns a restaurant. The other one is a teacher. And I look in that dark mirror of the past, and all I see is clean rain on an open road.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow a very romantic entry sir. sometimes memories are best kept as what it is, and nuthin more

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:32:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the one who met you after your service to the country. *grin*
4 years, eh?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:09:00 am  
Blogger P0litik said...

Wow. I really like what you wrote.

'Sometimes your heart weighs so much, feels so large with hope, fear, portent or despair. Sometimes it is full of blood, and at other times it is unbearably light with air. And sometimes, it is happy but it feels nothing beyond that'

Kind of reminds me of that line from American Beauty if you've watched it.

I wonder how my prom will be. A final parting with great friends who will be future leaders of Singapore?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:09:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sleepyboi: you're right, there...

becca: hrmmph...

politik: thank you! i also wonder how your prom will be...

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:32:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home