Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Acronymous Rex

I have been a fan of Guy Kawasaki for more than twenty years now. Of course, when some people hear that, they think, "Ah, another Apple freak." But I assure you, my liking for Mr Kawasaki runs deeper than any relationship he might have to fast motorcycles or shiitake mushrooms. It is somewhat related to posts like this.

Sometimes, acronyms are just so apt. It was decades ago also that I discovered for myself the ancient practice of signing off with 'IHS', which variously stood for 'In His Service' or for the first three letters of the name 'Jesus' in Greek. I remembered that a few years ago. Sadly, not all uses of acronyms reflect the glory of the intended original, for better or worse. Just recall, my friends, when water and other services were controlled by the PUB - Public Utilities Board. Hilarious.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what new worlds have you opened up behind those cyptic words now?

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 3:10:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know... *grin* I mean, look at Singapore Mass Rapid Transit. They could have called it SMART, instead of SMRT. Now it sounds like 'smirk'. Same with ACS(I). You should Google 'acsi' and see what hits your list first.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 8:41:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home