Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Reorientation

I remember many things people have said about me in my youth; I have reminders of them, having assiduously retained report books and testimonials and diaries. But as I finish my last year as a thirty-something young man, and look ahead into the murkiness of the forties, I wonder how much was me and how much was acting.

Take for example that venerable Myers-Briggs test. For years, comments from relatives and friends, and even successive readings of the MBTI proclaimed me to be an INTJ. But looking at my diaries and notes, I realise that while I was intensely introverted as a child, I also had a naughty streak that eventually became a full-fledged bridge into the external world.

As one ages, one's creativity can variously become a source of inspiration, embarrassment, irritation, encouragement or perplexity to one's colleagues, friends, family and other acquaintances. Mine seems to have tilted the balance between introversion and extroversion - so far, most indicators show the extrovert very slightly ahead. Coupled with other maturing indicators, I seem to have become an ENTP. How very odd!

The judgemental introvert of the past has become a perceptive extrovert. According to this version of the test, the mastermind has been replaced by the inventor; the free-thinker is now the innovator. Does it stop there? Who knows? Perhaps I should just accept suggestions for Act III.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

last i checked, i was an INFJ but I should get is revalidated.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:36:00 pm  
Blogger dlanorpi said...

Hmmm... This agrees with my observation that personalities, like intelligence, changes over time.

Interesting still...

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A man only goes uphill from 40, but down in some cases. Unfortunately, that's not true for we women. How sad.Enjoy being 40!

Thursday, December 14, 2006 5:07:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home