Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Angry Confusion Sets In?

Today, for reasons I cannot even begin to explore - or at least, ought not to speculate on in a public forum - the school was full of people coming up to me and asking me when I would have time to go out for coffee and chat. Some sounded most upset; some sounded as if their favourite hamster had just given birth to geckos. A few asked why everyone seemed so distraught, unhappy, angry, bewildered. Another person thought that things were confusing, one implied I must be confused if I thought a certain way.

But I must say that I have always possessed a lot more clarity of thought in the long-term, in the kind of vision which spans five years to ten years ahead. I suppose I must be one of those cursed with long-sightedness. Sometimes, my strategic vision is very bad at assessing short-term problems and obstacles. Yet, trawling through the thousands of things I've written in the 20 years of my public career, I realise that what I need to work on is bridging the gap between 'now' and 'five years from now'. I have never been wrong so far about 'five years from now'.

I say this with painful humility, because I never noticed this before. It is like a gift that operates under your radar. You don't know you have it. But people keep pointing things out to you. One young man, a former student, came to see me a few weeks ago to tell me that five years ago, when I told him to make a particularly cold-blooded career choice, I was right in the end. He thanked me for the advice, and wondered how I had seen so far ahead.

I don't know. It is a gift. And now I know I have it, I have to be even more careful about what I do, think or say. The future is bright - I must say that it always is, until we tarnish it; the best is yet to be, but sometimes it has not yet been conceived and hence is in no condition to be born. So we work for the best, in whatever estate, high or low, that God has ordained for us. And indeed, may it come to pass someday.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it is urgent, because I have been waiting, and watching, and wondering since september after making the mistake of trying something before my time.

I have been watching for signs. And all the pieces have been falling into place.

It is time.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:22:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good gift though, for many people tend to be short-sighted rather than far-sighted. But as with most things in life, we need a balance of both. :)

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 9:04:00 pm  
Blogger JeNn said...

Hi Sir! I don't think it's a curse at all.. being able to see into the long term is such a useful skill! And certainly harder to hone than being able to analyse short-term problems, no?
So what career choice do you think I should make? =)

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:09:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:31:00 am  
Blogger * the mad monk of melk * said...

But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

WS. Henry V

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:33:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not a career counsellor, unlike the professionals which MOE is deploying to schools. So I will give my opinions after due consideration... *grin* if you trust me, that is.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:33:00 am  
Blogger The Hierophant said...

Now, if my favourite hamster gave birth geckos I wouldn't be too distraught. Oh yes, it is a curse, if you consider it carefully.

Friday, October 27, 2006 10:25:00 pm  
Blogger The Hierophant said...

*gave birth to

Friday, October 27, 2006 10:25:00 pm  
Blogger JeNn said...

yea i do! (:

unless you choose a career i haven't even considered =X

Sunday, October 29, 2006 2:17:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home