Saturday, October 16, 2004

Vastly Amused

Yesterday, I was idly surfing with my ice-white cordless bluetooth shark (how can you call an ice-white bluetooth device a mouse?) while re-marking the remarkable chemistry papers of my dearest students (of course, some were unremarkable, so I left them to fester in a corner).

I have a dark-adapted eye which registers things like this: flick flick flickflick flick flickflickflick flick HOLD ON that wasn't a -flick- or even a flying flick or a flying flick at a rolling doughnut or... and meanwhile, I am stabbing crimson astigmatic-nightmare lines into a mass of dubious chemistry. Somewhere in all that flicking around, I realised that hardly anyone would be able to see my flicking perceptions as anything but calculated to give subtle offence. Because, of all the blogs I had gone through on my kiloblog websprint, a vast majority had what looked like compressed flicks scattered around in an attempt to shock. Or is it that they talk like this in real life and nobody listens?

I'm getting old... "old; I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled." Mermaids. Yellow fog. I can call spirits from the vasty deep (or could, and would, but at the peril of my immortal soul will no longer do so, or never did at all, and am merely quoting my next-favourite bard, the Avon gentleman). I think my main sensation was a vast (star-spanning, huge, face-of-eternity, black monolith) amusement. I had just realised something I had long been in denial about.

You can shock while being completely innocent, rational, humane and polite. In fact, if you were to write as I do, you would shock a lot of people, who have been exposed to little but bad writing all their lives. Not 'bad' as in 'poor', 'incompetent' or 'not approved of by lots of very anal teachers of degenerate Anglo-Saxon tongues', but 'bad' as in 'desiring to make a voice for oneself by sounding like all the others'.

What makes me any different? I think, just perhaps, it might be that I write for the pleasure of it, and not from angst. And then again, maybe not. Your arbitrage might vary.

1 Comments:

Blogger BenSohBS said...

lots of people write not out of angst too. still, i think many people may view a blog as more of an outlet, and thus this tends to drive people towards the same writing style... though i am quite sure a majority of blogs online would not be approved by anal teachers of Anglo-Saxon tongues... most unfortunate.

Sunday, October 17, 2004 5:06:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home