Monday, August 30, 2004

Morozevich-Anand 1995

It's amazing. I don't often comment on chess; it's a pastime which I had to give up many years ago, sadly. You need time to think and to absorb strategic points, and I don't have the time for it. I could of course play with ACS(I) chess team players and get thrashed a few times for my pains, but I don't think it would help much.

This game however, deserves mention. In 1995, Morozevich, 17 and fresh out of his apprenticeship, plays white against World Championship candidate Viswanath Anand. What's worse, he plays the 3. Bc4 King's Gambit Accepted. King's Gambit? How many of you have seen this in open play? No? I thought not. Moro apparently muddles through, but Anand is just a bit too cautious, and before you know it, in under 30 moves, he's dead. Dead? Yep. White wins in a 3. Bc4 King's Gambit against one of the best players of the modern era.

I've always enjoyed watching games by both these men. Anand's repertoire however seems to be an endless parade of Sicilians of various kinds. Moro does weird things. I like him. You should too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home