Responses (Nov 2015) — Summary
- “The main reason knowledge is produced is to solve problems.” To what extent do you agree with this statement?
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of using models to produce knowledge of the world.
- “Without the group to verify it, knowledge is not possible.” Discuss.
- “In some areas of knowledge we try to reduce a complex whole to simple components, but in others we try to integrate simple components into a complex whole.” Discuss this distinction with reference to two areas of knowledge.
- “No knowledge can be produced by a single way of knowing.” Discuss.
- Is explanation a prerequisite for prediction? Explore this question in relation to two areas of knowledge.
This list is even more intriguing than the previous one because the questions adopt a more contentious slant. The emphasis seems to be one of debate, in which Yes/No positions are key for questions 3-6, whereas questions 1-2 are general and broadly discursive.